Scientific Review Committee Process (a PowerPoint presentation by the 2016 SRC chairperson; has sections for all projects whether they require pre-approval or not)
Junior Science and Humanities Symposium (help for project paper writing – see “Guidelines”)
ScienceBuddies.org – A wonderful site for ideas and support of science fair projects
NEW: STEM Scouts – STEM Scouts re-imagines creative ways to learn about science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Interact with professionals in weekly hands-on lab sessions and discover new things in a fast-paced, thought-provoking, and fun way.
A. Good Website: Education Planet
B. Good material from Vernier Technology – Innovative Ideas
C. Good project ideas from the Entomological
(From the American Chemical Society booklet)
- Which peanut butter is the stickiest?
- Are guppies attracted to mirrors?
- Which animals in a zoo are kept in families?
- Does changing the contents of a fish tank change the fish’s swimming pattern?
- Does the size or breed of a dog affect its heart rate?
- What container will keep a drink cold for the longest period of time?
- Which kind of adhesive bandage stays on the longest?
- What kind of tennis ball bounces higher and longer than others?
- Which dishwashing liquid is the best degreaser?
- Does double-bagging make paper or plastic bags twice as strong?
- What materials are best for soundproofing?
- Which colors absorb the sun’s heat the most? the least?
- Which kinds of fabrics are best for keeping you warm?
- Which kinds of cereal get soggy the fastest and stay crunchy the longest?
- Which kind of vinegar makes the best reaction (loudest, longest, most bubbly) with baking soda?
- Are there different living things in different soils?
- Are temperature and barometric pressure good predictors of rainfall?
- Is there a relationship between the size of a tree and the size of its leaves?
- What is the relationship between the length of a plucked rubber band and the sound it produces?
- Does the amount of food given to a gerbil affect how long it sleeps?
- Do different-colored hard candies dissolve at the same rate?
- Which kind of sponge is better, natural or synthetic?
- What combination of water, liquid soap and sugar make the best bubble-blowing liquid?
- Design a soup bowl and spoon that allow you to finish the last bit of soup without tipping the bowl.
- How will changing the type of food in a bird feeder affect the types of birds that feed?
- Do babies prefer certain colors or shapes of blocks?
- Which colors can be seen from the greatest distance?
- Do members of the same family tend to have the same favorite color?
- Is there a relationship between the length of people’s hands and the length of their feet?
- Can you train an earthworm to do something?
- Which brand of cotton balls is the best (number per price, or rate of absorption, or total absorption, or strength)?
- Do larger batteries (D and C cells) last longer that smaller ones with the same voltage (AA and AAA)?
- Can male grasshoppers jump farther than female grasshoppers?
- Which dishwashing liquid produces the most suds?
- What’s the smallest portion of a potato needed to start the growth of another potato?
- Which paper plates will hold more weight without buckling?
- How long can people hold their breath? What characteristics might affect it?
- Where do seeds sprout best?
- Will a seed grow if part of it has been removed?
- What kinds of plants will and will not grow from cuttings?
- How does too much of a good thing (water, fertilizer, light) affect plants?
- Does fertilizer affect the amount of algae growth in water?
- Do taller people have bigger feet?
- Do solutions of different kinds of salt and sugar produce different crystals when they evaporate?
- Does a light object really fall at the same rate as a heavy object? (What really affects the rate of fall in air?)
- Can you make a painting using only pigments from the plants, soils, and minerals in your neighborhood?
- Is the hatching time of brine shrimp affected by the amount of salt in the brine solution?
- Are snails attracted or repelled by light?
- Which kind of soil will hold more water?
- Design a vehicle which can travel 10 feet by itself powered only by rubber bands or balloons?
- Are paper grocery bags stronger than plastic grocery bags?
- Design a feeding dish or mechanism which will prevent a large dog from stealing food from a little dog.